DC-CAP College Tour Series
When a high school student has the opportunity to visit a college campus their motivation, college selection and enthusiasm for continuing their education can be tremendously influenced. DC-CAP's goal is to provide as many DC public and public charter high school students as possible the opportunity to experience college first-hand through its College Tour Series.
How to Participate in the College Tour Series
While visiting college campuses, DC-CAP students will have the opportunity to tour student, residential and athletic facilities; meet professors and sit in on their classes; meet admissions and financial aid personnel; learn about pre-college summer programs; and talk to students first-hand about their own college experiences. For each visit, DC-CAP will coordinate and provide transportation, meals, student activities and chaperones.
To participate in the DC-CAP College Tour Series, contact your DC-CAP advisor and watch for your school's weekly flyers and announcements about the College Tour Series. All students must turn in a completed College Tour Authorization Release Form prior to boarding the bus. If you are a parent interested in the Series, please contact the DC-CAP main office.
The College Tour Series enables DC public and public charter high school students to visit colleges and universities in the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and surrounding areas. The list below identifies institutions that are part of the Series and are popular among DC students. Many of institutions featured offer high minority graduation rates, academic strength, strong on-campus support networks and/or generous financial aid packages. These colleges and universities account for more than 85% of all DC graduates enrolled in college.
- Bowie State University - Bowie, MD
- Delaware State University - Dover, DE
- George Mason University - Fairfax, VA
- Georgetown University - Washington, DC
- Hampton University - Hampton, VA
- Howard University - Washington, DC
- Marymount University - Arlington, VA
- Montgomery College – Multiple Campuses, MD
- Morgan State University - Baltimore, MD
- Norfolk State University - Norfolk, VA
- North Carolina A & T State University - Greensboro, NC
- North Carolina Central University - Durham, NC
- Northern Virginia Community College - Multiple Campuses, VA
- Pennsylvania State University - Multiple Campuses, PA
- Prince George's Community College - Largo, Maryland
- St. Augustine's College - Raleigh, NC
- Trinity University - Washington, DC
- University of District of Columbia - Washington, DC
- University of Maryland College Park - College Park, MD
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore - Princess Anne, MD
- University of North Carolina – Multiple Campuses, NC
- Virginia Commonwealth University - Richmond, VA
- Virginia State University - Petersburg, VA
- Virginia Union University - Richmond, VA
Student interest determines the final selection of schools included as part of each DC-CAP College Tour Series. Tour itineraries are based on the proximity of the schools to the District of Columbia, to each other, and time allowances. In the future, DC-CAP will consider expanding its Tour Series to include out-of-area institutions. such as Brown University, Livingstone College, Columbia University, Clark Atlanta University and others.